The Division of Global Affairs is comprised of a prestigious and diverse faculty, the benefit being that publications and research come from an array of areas and fields. Below is a list of recent faculty publications. A list of faculty conferences, lectures and interviews can be found here.
Stephen Eric Bronner
- Book: The Bigot (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2014).
- Book: Modernism at the Barricades: Aesthetics, Politics, Utopia (New York: Columbia University Press, 2014).
- Book: Moments of Decision: Political History and the Crises of Radicalism [2nd Revised Edition] (New York: Bloomsbury Academic, 2014).
- Book: Of Critical Theory and its Theorists (London and New York: Routledge, 2013).
- Book: Socialism Unbound: Principles, Practices, and Prospects (New York: Columbia University Press, 2013).
- Article: “The Sovereign,” Logos: A Journal of Modern Society and Culture Vol. 12, No. 3 (September 2013).
- Article: “Utopia,” Logos: A Journal of Modern Society and Culture Vol. 12, No. 2 (June 2013).
- Book: Modernism at the Barricades: Aesthetics, Politics, Utopia (New York: Columbia University Press, 2012).
- Article: Cantwell, John and Piscitello, Lucia, "Historical changes in the determinants of the composition of innovative activity in MNC subunits", Industrial and Corporate Change, Vol. 23, No. 3, (2014) pp. 633-66.
- Article: "Revisiting International Business Theory: A Capabilities-Based Theory of the MNE." Journal of International Business Studies Vol. 45, No. 1 (2014).
- Chapter in edited volume: "The Role of International Business in the Global Spread of Technological Innovation," in International Business and Institutions After the Financial Crisis, eds. Yama Temouri and Chris Jones (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2014).
- Article: Cantwell, John and Zhang, Feng, "Do foreign-owned subsidiaries in China follow a distinctive pattern of technological knowledge sourcing?", Management and Organizations Review, Vol. 9, No. 3 (2013) pp. 489-51.
- Chapter in edited volume: "Innovative Firms in Emerging Market Countries: An Introduction," in Innovative Firms in Emerging Market Countries, eds. Edmund Amann and John Cantwell (Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press, 2012).
- Article: Cantwell, John and Jahan Ara Peerally. "Changes in Trade Policies and the Heterogeneity of Domestic and Multinational Firms’ Strategic Response: The Effects on Firm-Level Capabilities." World Development Vol. 40 (2012).
- Article: Cantwell, John and Ram Mudambi. "Physical Attraction and the Geography of Knowledge Sourcing in Multinational Enterprises." Global Strategy Journal Vol. 1, No. 3-4 (2011).
- Article: "Produce More Joppolos”: John Hersey's A Bell for Adano and the Making of the “Good Occupation." Journal of American History Vol. 100, no. 4 (2014).
- Article: "Simon J. Potter. Broadcasting Empire: The BBC and the British World, 1922–1970." The American Historical Review Vol. 119, no. 2 (2014).
- Article: "Emperor." Journal of American History Vol. 100, no. 1 (2013).
- Article: "The Untold History of the United States." Journal of American History Vol. 100, no. 3 (2013): 924-929.
Ariane Chebel d'Appollonia
- Forthcoming: How Does it Feel to Be a Threat? Migrant Mobilization and Securitization in the United States and Europe, Palgrave Macmillan/ NYU Series (forthcoming April 2015).
- Forthcoming: “Interview with Raymond Aron”, in International relations Theory: Dialogues with Foundational Thinkers (edited by Richard Ned Lebow), Palgrave Macmillan (forthcoming 2015).
- Forthcoming: “Raymond Aron and the Ethics of Global Affairs”, in Raymond Aron and International Relations (edited by Olivier Schmitt, forthcoming 2015).
- Article: “How and Why Emigration Matters: Examining the Emergence of the ‘New Emigration Regimes’ and its Impact on Public Administration in Kyrgystan” (with Jydylz T.Kasymova), Journal of Public Management and Social Policy, 20 no. 2 (2014).
- Chapter in edited volume: “Immigration Issues and Elections in France” in: R. Brizzi and G. Goodliffe (eds.), Presidential Elections in France, Berghahn Publishers, (2014).
- Chapter in edited volume: “The Right and Undocumented Migrants” in: A.R Ackerman and R.Furman (eds.), The Criminalization of Immigration: Contexts and Consequences, Carolina Academic Press, (2014).
- Review: Review of Punishing Immigrants : Policy, Politics, and Injustice, edited by Charis E.Kubrin, Marjorie S.Zatz, and Ramiro Martinez, New York University Press, 2012 in : International Journal of Comparative Sociology , 1-3, (2014).
- Article: “Researching the Civil Rights and Liberties of Western Muslims”, Review of Middle East Studies, vol.46, n°2, (Winter 2012).
- Chapter in edited volume: “Plus blanc que blanc ? Réflexion sur le monochrome populiste en Europe”, in: Sylvie Laurent and Thierry Leclère (eds.), De quelle couleur sont les Blancs ?, Editions de la Découverte, (2013).
- Chapter in edited volume: “Le politiche dell’immigrazione” in: R. Brizzi and G. Goodliffe (eds.), La Francia di Hollande, Il Mulino, (2013).
- Chapter in edited volume: “United in Adversity ? European Identity in Times of Crisis” in: Kurt Almvist and Alexander Linklater (eds.), The Pursuit of Europe, Axel and Margaret Ax:son Johnson Foundation, (2013).
- Chapter in edited volume: "Racisme ordinaire” in: Pierre-Andre Taguieff (ed.), Dictionnaire historique et critique du racisme, Presses Universitaires de France, (2013).
- Chapter in edited volume: “The Impact of the Global Financial and Economic Crisis on Migration and Remittances”, in: Alan W. Cafruny and Herman Schwartz (eds.), Exploring the Global Financial Crisis (International Political Economy Yearbook), Lynne Rienner Publishers, (2013).
- Book: Frontiers of Fear: Immigration and Security in Europe and the United States (Cornell University Press, March 2012).
- Book: Les frontières du racisme, Paris, Presses de Sciences Po, May 2011 (Chinese translation forthcoming 2015, Social Sciences Academic Press).
- Article: “Emotions and Passions in the Discipline of International Relations” Japanese Journal of Political Science Vol. 15 Issue 3 (September, 2014).
- Article: “Nationally Based Data: Challenges for Global Governance (and Global Policy)” with Ibrahim Tahri Global Policy Journal Vol. 5 Issue 2 (May, 2014).
- Chapter in edited volume: “The Weak International Support for Human Security in Countries in Crisis: The cases of Humanitarian Interventions, Development, and the Environment” (co-authored with Thomas Arndt), in Saul Takahashi (ed.), Human Rights, Human Security, and State Security: The Intersection (Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger Publishers, 2014).
- Chapter in edited volume: “International Legitimacy and the Building Blocks of the International Rule of Law”, in Charles Sampford and Ramesh Thakur (eds.), Institutional Supports for the International Rule of Law (London: Routledge, 2014).
- Chapter in edited volume: "International Humanitarian Interventions, Conflicts of Legitimacy and the Question of International Solidarity" in Lessons from Intervention in the 21st Century: Legality, Legitimacy and Feasibility, Held and McNally (eds.) Global Policy e-book (June, 2014)
- Book: Coicaud-Jean Marc and Warner, Daniel. Ethics and International Affairs: Extent and Limits. (New York: United Nations University Press, 2013).
- Chapter in edited volume: “Crime, Justice, and Legitimacy: A Brief Theoretical Inquiry”, in Tankebe and Liebling (eds.), Legitimacy and Criminal Justice: An International Exploration, (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013).
- Chapter in edited volume: “French Foreign Policy and the United Nations at the Turn of the Century,” (in Japanese: "Furansu no Gaikouseisaku to Kokuren"), in International Organization, ed. Takeo Uchida (Kyoto: Minerva Publications, 2013).
- Forthcoming Article “Diversity in IR Theory: Pluralism as an Opportunity for Understanding Global Politics,” International Studies Perspectives, Vol. 16, No. 1 (February 2015), 1-10. Part of a Forum of five articles organized by YF on “Diversity in International Relations Theory.” Other contributors: Patrick Thaddeus Jackson, Halvard Leira, Nicholas Rengger, and Jennifer Sterling-Folker.
- Forthcoming Chapter in edited volume: “Rising Powers and Global Governance: Theoretical Perspectives,” in Jaime Gaskarth, ed., Rising Powers, Global Governance and Global Ethics (Milton Park, Abington, Oxon, UK: Routledge, 2015).
- Forthcoming Article: “Turkey and the European Union: The Context Shifts Again,” in European Review (2015).
- Appointment: Elected to Academia Europaea (The Academy of Europe) September 2013 and inducted at the 26th Annual AE Conference, Barcelona, Spain (July 16-18, 2014).
- Article: Yale Ferguson and Richard W. Mansbach, “Reflections on the ‘Third Debate’,” International Studies Quarterly (Online Supplement), (March 2014).
- Article: “The History and Dynamics of Globalization,” Diplomacy and Statecraft, Vol. 25, No. 1, (March 2014): 135-155.
- Chapter in edited volume: “The Renminbi-Dollar Relationship: Politics and Economics of a Diminishing Issue,” in Thomas Oatley and W. Kindred Winecoff, eds., Handbook of the International Political Economy of Monetary Relations (Northampton, MA 2014), 123-143.
- Article: “The Transatlantic Tennis Match in IR Theory: Personal Reflections,” European Review of International Studies, Vol. 1 (2014): 18-24.
- Chapter in edited volume: “Afterword” in Noel Parker, ed., Empires and International Order (London: Ashgate, 2013), 148-152.
- Article: “Turkey and the EU: A Changed Context,” European Review, Vol. 21, No. 3 (July 2013): 362-371.
Brian R. Ferguson
- Chapter in edited volume: "The Prehistory of War and Peace in Europe and the Near East," in War, Peace, and Human Nature: The Convergence of Evolutionary and Cultural Views, ed. Douglas P. Fry (Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press, 2013): 191-241.
- Article: "Neil Lancelot Whitehead (1956–2012)." American Anthropologist Vol. 115 No. 1 (2013): 153-156.
- Book: Ferguson, Brian, ed. State, Identity, and Violence (London and New York: Routledge, 2012).
- Book: Devon E. Hinton and Alex Laban Hinton (eds). Genocide and Mass Violence: Memory, Symptom, and Recovery (Cambridge University Press, 2015).
- Book: Andrew Woolford, Jeff Benveunto and Alexander Laban Hinton (eds), Colonial Genocide in Indigenous North America, (Duke University Press, 2014).
Chapter in edited volume: "The Paradox of Perpetration: A View from the Cambodian Genocide," in Human Rights at the Crossroads, ed. Mark Goodale (London and New York: Oxford University Press, 2013).
- Chapter in edited volume: "Genocide and the Politics of Memory in Cambodia" in Hidden Genocides: Power, Knowledge, Memory, eds. Alexander Hinton, Thomas La Pointe, and Douglas Irvin-Erickson (New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 2013).
- Article: "Critical Genocide Studies." Genocide Studies and Prevention Vol. 7, No. 1 (2012): 4-15.
Chapter in edited volume: Caplan, Joel and Leslie Kennedy. "Forecasting of Shootings Using Risk Terrain Modeling," in Encyclopedia of Criminology and Criminal Justice, eds. Gerben Bruinsma and David Weisburd (New York: Springer, 2014).
- Book: Kennedy, Leslie, Jean McGloin, and Christopher J. Sullivan. When Crime Appears: The Role of Emergence (London and New York: Routledge, 2011).
- Article: "Trade, Monitoring, and the ILO: Working To Improve Conditions in Cambodia's Garment Factories." Yale Human Rights and Development Journal Vol 7 No. 1 (2014).
- Article: "Trade, Development, and Migrant Garment Workers in Jordan." Middle East Law and Governance Vol. 5 (2013): 195-226.
- Article: "Beyond global environmental governance, toward ecologically effective policy coordination," (2014) Critical Policy Studies, Vol. 8 No. 2: 227-234.
- Chapter in edited volume: "Consumption – Institutions and Actors," in Handbook of Global Environmental Politics, ed. Paul Harris (Abingdon: Routledge, 2013).
- Book: Environment, Society and International Relations: Towards More Effective International Agreements, (London: Routledge, 2013).
- Chapter in edited volume: "Limits," in Critical Environmental Politics, ed. Carl Death (Abingdon: Routledge, 2013).
- Chapter in edited volume: "Exploring Global Governance from a Critical Global Political Economy Perspective," in Handbook of Global Environmental Politics, 2nd edition, Peter Dauvergne (ed) (Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 2012).
- Article: "Nature Conservation Law in Context: The Limited Influence of European Union and Greek Designations on the Future of Cavo Sidero, Crete." The Journal of International Wildlife Law and Policy Vol. 15 No. 1 (2012).
- Chapter in edited volume: "Conflict and Cooperation in the Mediterranean: MAP from 1975 to Today," in Beyond Resource Wars: Scarcity, Environmental Degradation and International Cooperation, ed. Shlomi Dinar (Cambridge: MIT Press, 2011).
- Chapter in edited volume: Holzinger Brenda and Gabrielle Kuetting. "Global Governance and Environmental Politics," in The New Blackwell Companion to Political Sociology, eds. Edwin Amenta, Kate Nash and Alan Scott (Oxford and Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishers, 2011).
- Article: Alcindor, Hilda, Elise Lev, Teri Lindgren, and Gayle A. Pearson. "Evolution of a Nursing Education Program Delivered to Baccalaureate-Prepared Haitian Nurses." Nurse Educator Vol 38, No. 4 (2013): 169-172.
- Article: Lindgren, Terry, Sally Rankin, and Ellen Schell Teri. "A response to Edzi (AIDS): Malawi Faith-Based Organizations' Impact on HIV Prevention and Care." Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care Vol. 24 No. 3 (2013): 227-241.
- Review Symposium: European Political Science: Simon Reich and Richard Ned Lebow. Good-Bye Hegemony!: Power and Influence in the Global System. Introduction by Lasse Thomassen. Reviews by Daniel Warner and John Mueller. Response by Simon Reich and Richard Ned Lebow.
- Book: Simon Reich and Richard Ned Lebow. Good-Bye Hegemony!: Power and Influence in the Global System (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2014).
- Chapter in edited volume: “Steaming up the Hudson: China, the US and the Problem of Misperception,” in The Asia-Pacific Century: Challenges and Opportunities, ed. Adam Lowther (Maxwell AFB, AL: Air University Press, 2012).
Chapter in edited volume: Reich, Simon and Martin A. Schain. “Policy, Politics and Immigration: From Distribution to Regulation,” in Political Science As Public Philosophy: A Festschrift for Theodore J. Lowi, eds. Benjamin Ginsberg and Gwendolyn Mink (New York: W.W. Norton, 2010).
- Article: Magdalena Grabowska, Peter Kabachnik, and Joanna Regulska. "Traumatic Masculinities: The Gendered Geographies of Georgian IDPs from Abkhazia." Gender, Place & Culture Vol. 20 No. 6 (2013).
- Book: Regulska, Joanna and Bonnie G. Smith, eds. Women and Gender in Postwar Europe: From Cold War to European Union (London and New York: Routledge, 2012).
- Chapter in edited volume: Magdalena Grabowska and Joanna Regulska. "Redeﬁning Well-Being through Actions: Women’s Activism and the Polish State," in Transforming Gendered Well-being in Europe: The Impact of Social Movements, eds. Alison E. Woodward, Jean-Michel Bonvin, and Mercè Renom (Farnham, Surrey and Burlington, VA: Ashgate, 2011).
- Book: Civil Resistance Today. (Cambridge: Polity, 2015).
- Book: Civil Resistance: Comparative Perspectives on Nonviolent Struggle. (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2015).
- Chapter in edited volume: “Social Movements, Nonviolent.” In The Encyclopedia of Race, Ethnicity and Nationalism, ed. by John Stone, Rutledge M. Dennis, Polly S. Rizova, Anthony Smith, & Xiaoshuo Hou. (London: Wiley-Blackwell, 2015)
- Chapter in edited volume: “Rural Movements.” Chapter 9 in Understanding Nonviolence: Contours and Contexts, ed. by Maia Carter Hallward & Julie M. Norman. (Cambridge: Polity, 2014)
- Chapter in edited volume: “Nonviolence/Nonviolent Action,” in Encyclopedia of Social and Political Movements, eds. David A. Snow, Donatella Della Porta, Bert Klandermans, and Doug McAdam (London: Wiley-Blackwell, 2013).
- Article: “The Practice and Study of Civil Resistance.” The Journal of Peace Research Vol. 50 (2013).
- Chapter in edited volume: “Anti-Colonial Movements,” in Encyclopedia of Social and Political Movements, eds. D. A. Snow, D. Della Porta, B. Klandermans, & D. McAdam (London: Wiley-Blackwell, 2012).
- Chapter in edited volume: “Land Struggles in the Global South: Strategic Innovations in Brazil and India,” in Strategies for Social Change, eds. G. M. Maney, R. V. Kutz-Flamenbaum, D. R. Rohlinger, and J. Goodwin (Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press, 2012).
- Article: Coissard, Steven and Carlos Seiglie. “Pricing with Monitoring Costs.” Cahiers Economiques de Bruxelles Vol. 4 (2011).
- Chapter in edited volume: Polachek, Solomon, Carlos Seiglie, and Jun Xiang. “Globalization and International Conflict: Can FDI Increase Cooperation Among Nations?," in Handbook of the Economics of Peace and Conflict, eds. M. Garfinkel and S. Skaperdas (London and New York: Oxford University Press, 2011).
- Chapter in edited volume: “Les Depenses Militaires en Economie Ouverte,” in Economie Politique de la Securite Internationale, ed. Jacques Fontanel (Edition- L' Harmattan, 2011).
- Article: Merlevede, Bruno, Mariana Spatareanu, and Koen Schoors. "FDI Spillovers and Time Since Foreign Entry." World Development Vol. 56 (2014): 108-126.
- Article: Manole, Vlad and Mariana Spatareanu. "Foreign Direct Investment Spillovers and Firms’ Access to Credit." Applied Financial Economics (ahead of print-2014): 1-9.
- Article: Javorcik, Beata, Çağlar Özden, Cristina Neagu, and Mariana Spatareanu. "Migrant Networks and Foreign Direct Investment." Journal of Development Economics Vol 94 No. 2 (2011): 321-241.
Gregg G. Van Ryzin
- Article: "The Curious Case of the Post-9-11 Boost in Government Job Satisfaction." The American Review of Public Administration Vol. 44 No. 1 (2014).
- Article: Lavena, Cecilia F., Norma Riccucci, and Van Ryzin Gregg G. "Representative Bureaucracy in Policing: Does It Increase Perceived Legitimacy?" Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory Vol. 24 No. 3 (2014).
- Article: "An Experimental Test of the Expectancy-Disconfirmation Theory of Citizen Satisfaction," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management Vol. 32 No. 3 (2013).
- Article: Lavena, Cecelia and Gregg G. Van Ryzin. "The Credibility of Government Performance Reporting: An Experimental Study." Public Performance and Management Review (2013).
- Article: Bovaird, Tony, Elke Löffler, Salvador Parrado, and Gregg G. Van Ryzin. "Correlates of Co-Production: Evidence from a Five-Nation Survey of Citizens," International Public Management Journal Vol. 16 No. 1 (2013).
- Article: Kim, Mirae and Gregg G. Van Ryzin. "Government Funding and the Willingness to Donate to Arts Organizations: Results of a Survey Experiment." Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly (2013).
- Article: Charbonneau, Étienne and Gregg G. Van Ryzin. "Referents and Citizen Judgments of Government Performance: Findings from an Experiment with an Online Panel." Public Management Review (2013).
- Article: Sanz-Menéndez, Luiz and Gregg G. Van Ryzin. "Economic Crisis and Public Attitudes Toward Science: A Study of Regional Differences in Spain. Public Understanding of Science (2013).
- Article: Polachek, Solomon and Jun Xiang. "Relevance as a Latent Variable in Dyadic Analysis of Conﬂict." The Journal of Politics Vol. 72 No. 2 (2010).
- Article: Polachek, Solomon and Jun Xiang. "How Opportunity Costs Decrease the Probability of War in an Incomplete Information Game." International Organization Vol 64 No. 1 (2010).
- Article: Polachek, Solomon, Carlos Seiglie, and Jun Xiang. "The Impact of Foreign Direct Investment on International Conﬂict." Defense and Peace Economics Vol. 18 No. 5 (2007).